Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Playing frisbee with Jesus



I have put off writing this for over two weeks because for me it's my final way of saying goodbye and I wasn't ready to do it yet. If you're not a dog lover you might not believe me when I say that losing one is truly like losing a family member... and for us Indiana was a very dearly loved family member for both Steve and I and his grandparents, who were also his extended dogsitters while we are on this crazy adventure. I truly believe God made dogs for a very special reason and I love this video that was shared with me shortly after Indiana died, God Made A Dog.
 
Here's just a small look back on the amazing dog that Indiana was and the one that we'll always remember him for being.
 
 
Indiana you were perhaps the second love of my life... always there for me when Steve was out of town, always there in the front window looking so happy when I came home from work, always there when I needed a shoulder to cry on. I couldn't have asked for a better first dog and I'll never forget the day I brought you home and you sat on my lap the whole car ride home. You were a fast learner and eager to please. I loved teaching you and taking you to your obedience classes, but let's be honest those were more for Steve and I than you.
 
 
 
 
 
Your favorite toys were hats and stuffed animals. We were careful to only let you destroy opposing team hats. But it didn't take long and every stuffed animal you came across became fair game. Remember old bambi, who else would I have sewed a stuffed animal back together for time and time again?
 
 
 
You were a one of a kind frisbee player. All the other dogs (and their humans) were jealous of you and how effortlessly you ran, jumped and caught frisbee after frisbee. We always had to force you to stop and take a break at times when your mouth was rubbed raw from catching so many frisbees.
 
 
And you sure loved to be lazy after those tough days at the dog park!
 
 
 
The day I brought Dakota home you looked at me like I was crazy, you already knew she was a special one. Yet, after a few days of being mad at me you became the big brother I always knew you would be and she followed you around everywhere you went. She loved to be your sidekick and will certainly need a little extra encouragement without you around.
 
 
 
 
 
I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for you those last few days when you weren't feeling well because you were always there for me when I wasn't. Always there to cuddle with me and make me feel safe and loved when times were tough.
 
 
Life just won't be the same without you when we move back. Making the decision not to bring you with us here was one of the most difficult but we did it so you would have a better life. We will always treasure that one last visit we had with you.
 
 
 
Although I would be lying if I said there wasn't at least one or two cats out there that didn't mind you not coming across the ocean with us...

 
Five years wasn't near long enough, but I don't think it's possible for many people to provide as many happy memories as you did for me in five years time. Thanks for humoring us and wearing Halloween costumes, letting us disrupt your sleeping with silly antics, chasing laser beams across the living room floor and sitting and waiting so patiently for your doggy ice cream. Not many dogs would be as patient with their humans as you were. I only wish Emma was going to have the chance to experience that patience too.
 
 
 
 

 
I'm going to miss you my running pal... that 5K trophy you and I won a few years back, it's always going to have a place right next to my marathon medals. And lucky for you we know that now you're running and playing frisbee with Jesus everyday and he throws it perfect everytime.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment