Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Oh January!


It never fails, January is always a long, cold and relatively boring month it seems. Steve works a lot. It is cold and snowy (especially this year). The days are short and gloomy. And we have just come off of a great holiday season with family and friends, making it seem all that much less exciting.
 
Emma doing her best impression of her father this past month...
With Steve's only day off on Sundays right now, it gives Emma and me a lot of time together just the two of us. We have been busy trying to come up with fun ways to fill our time. Between new art projects and play dates with friends, we are always scheming to come up with the best way to spend the little time Emma has with dad on his days off as well. Lucky for us we think we filled them pretty well this past month from Emma's first hockey game to getting outside for fun on both the crazy warm and the crazy cold and snowy days!
 

We kept Emma up late and took her to her first NHL game!

She actually sat still for a little while too!


Getting ready to head outside in the snow!


First steps before it got really deep, she didn't like it.

Catching snowflakes!

Making snow angels!
We've been lucky and had a couple super warm Sundays in January (despite that first Sunday in January snowstorm)... our moving back resolution is to get out and explore the area around us more. Dakota thoroughly enjoyed our outing to Castlewood State Park!
And while my days are busy chasing after someone with a whole lot of energy, I find myself constantly thinking about what's next as we get more and more settled back into the states. That of course has led me to a few different things... trying to get back into the running groove and deciding on a spring marathon to add to the schedule, planning one more big trip for late this spring before we have to start paying full fare for Emma to fly (we're going to South America and yes I know you are thinking we are completely crazy to go with a toddler in tow!), and applying for jobs.
 
Fun to have play dates with some of our Zurich friends back in St. Louis! These two crack me up!
Born one week apart in Zurich, now both living back in St. Louis!
 
While we still miss some of our old playmates, we've had a blast meeting new friends for both Emma and mom alike back in St. Louis!
 
It's true, I am not convinced I am cut out to be a stay at home mom forever (it's hard work!). I always envisioned myself going back to work once we moved back, but we'll see how soon that all happens. In the meantime I am going to do my best to enjoy everyday I have with Emma and prepare ourselves for what I know will be a really big transition. While I think it will be good for both of us (Emma really is a social butterfly) I am sure it will not be easy... we'll just have to wait and see who cries more when that time comes!
 
Finger painting in the bath tub is one of our new favorites!
 
Post finger painting Emma goes "swimming" in the super full bath tub...
So as we start February with more snow and cold (that groundhog sure is accurate so far) here's to more fun in the bath tub on the cold days and exploring Missouri on the warm days! Oh how I forgot how unpredictable Midwest weather could be! 
 
The second go around with painting in the tub and Emma quickly turned herself into the primary canvas!

Looking forward to more of these perfect family outings!

No comments:

Post a Comment