Wednesday, April 8, 2020

There are now 16 reasons to go outside (I think)

I don't have a dog, but I'll be walking my kids everyday.
We are down to 16 government allowed reasons to leave our home in the state of New South Wales. Evidently this is part of the Stage 3 restrictions and let's be honest, this is all starting to get pretty confusing (because as I'm writing I'm wondering was there a new announcement maybe today that I missed?). One thing I know for sure is I'm about to find every possible opportunity to exercise outside in the coming months (and if my kids are good I'll bring them too).

Thankfully we've been in this stage for around a week now and (I don't think) it has changed so I've had some time to get my head wrapped around what I'm probably allowed to do and what I might get fined for. And we should probably get used to it because it's looking like these restrictions are here to stay for around three months. Although every country seems to have a different model, a different approach, a slightly different experience playing out, only the test of time will tell us which way to contain and eliminate or slowly spread this virus was best. Maybe these restrictions will become more severe, maybe they will ease, we will wait and see.

So what are the 16 reasons we can leave home right now? Here you go...
    Slowly the world is closing
  1. Work (if you can't work remotely)
  2. School
  3. Shop for food or essentials
  4. Seek medical care
  5. Exercise
  6. To avoid injury, illness or escape risk of harm
  7. To deal with emergencies
  8. Access childcare
  9. Provide care or assistance to another
  10. Attend a wedding (max 5 people) or funeral (max 10 people)
  11. Move to a new residence
  12. Donate blood
  13. Undertake legal obligations
  14. Access social services
  15. Continue care arrangements for children who live between households
  16. For ministers to provide pastoral care in a place of worship
And if we do leave home we are told, at most, we can meet with one other person from outside our family (socially distanced of course). So far, I don't think we've really broken the rules, at least not blatantly, but let's be honest I'm not entirely sure either, especially as the rules are slightly different from state to state, country to country.

So this past weekend, well knowing that such an outing might be restricted by next weekend, we went for a day outside to a beautiful spot 45 minutes north of Sydney called Bobbin Head in the Kui-ring-gai Chase National Park. We walked on some gorgeous trails, rode bikes in empty parking lots, threw a frisbee, and went fishing. We also set out the picnic rug for a few minutes to eat lunch, I don't think that was technically allowed, but aren't we allowed food outside while we exercise? Also, we were fishing for leisure, we weren't fishing to feed ourselves, so that too might have got us in trouble. And if we were in Queensland from the sounds of it we likely could have earned ourselves a fine by driving that far to exercise as it might have been deemed unnecessary. Evidently we can still golf here in New South Wales, but not in other states. See what I mean? 

Over dinner recently we had a chat about how, just like the fires that Australia endured as we rang in the new decade, this pandemic is nothing new to the world. While still rare, frightening and overwhelming, the world has witnessed such things before. I started to say how every human has moments like this that they experience and remember forever either on a personal or greater shared community level. Emma you asked me about other big moments I remembered and my first thought was of course 9/11, then the Great Recession in the late 2000's, the Syrian refugee crisis, Gulf war, Oklahoma City Bombing, and the Challenger Explosion (but I was too young to actually remember).

But then it struck me that for the most part (aside from the recession really) these were moments in time events, and ones that I was largely removed from or relatively not impacted by. They still changed the world in ways that eventually trickled down to facets of my life, but I did not directly experience the actual events. So this pandemic is actually quite different. We are all impacted. We all either know someone who is sick, someone on the front lines, or we are trying to do our part by staying home. But in saying that, I also feel it important to acknowledge, that as for now, our family is not directly impacted. Our lives are changing and we are forced to abide by ever-evolving rules but currently we are just sitting in the wings as casual observers. We are waiting for the moment when we might get called in to play something more than the understudy (in whatever form that might take), and hoping we don't, but at the same time feeling completely useless if we don't. Our staying home still just doesn't compare to stories like Anne Frank.

Just a few months ago we started a brand new decade. That's big, not just a new year, but a new decade. Just like the start of every year for the past 7 or 8 I realized that many of my routines would be new and it would take time to adjust and make them my normal. We had just hit our stride in March. We made it through the record-breaking fire season and increased time indoors from the high levels of smoke pollution that lingered throughout Sydney for several months. Emma you started year 2, Morgan you started preschool, Charley you even started a day a week in childcare. I was looking forward to what this year would bring for me personally, hopeful I could strike a balance either with a new part time job, maybe starting my own business, or who knows what, but I was going to have time to actually think about it.

And now this, its only the beginning of April and I already don't know, will 2020 be cancelled? Is this socially isolated life all we will know? Will our vision decline from all this screen time, will zoom become the newest verb in our vocabulary, will all forms of travel be more or less banned for the rest of the year? We don't know how this will end or when it will end and that is no doubt the scariest part for most all of us. I'm not a sprinter, I'm a long distance girl, but even this is taking me a lot to wrap my head around. Run 42km, walk 100km, fine. Stay at home, don't travel, don't see your friends, don't go to work, school, anything if you can avoid it, for an indefinite period of time, I just don't know.

A friend passed along this beautiful song the other day called You Already Know and it gave me some peace. God knows and he has a plan, he sees us and he hears us, we can still call out to him and he will answer. While I see others going to incredible precautionary levels, I see the fear. No, I don't want to be sick, I want to be careful, I want to be smart, and I don't want to spread this disease like wildfire, but I don't want to live my life controlled by a virus that appears uncontrollable. Besides, I have three beautiful girls to spend all day every day with, and my life is pretty close to capacity just trying to break into this new normal routine that none of us saw coming when we started this year.


Simultaneous crafting, online exercising, video calling in one space minus one kid. This is our new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment