Sunday, December 16, 2012

About a year ago...

Just us and two cats on our way to Zurich last December!
About a year ago everything changed. In a matter of a few months we sold our house and cars, I left my job, we decided to leave our dearly loved dogs with Steve's parents, and we packed up a small portion of what we owned and boarded a one way flight for Switzerland. It's still absolutely crazy to me and there are many days I don't think it's reality. There are also many days when we've been traveling frequently that I get confused as to where I am at, and then I step back and think about it in complete amazement and realize where we are at and what we are doing. Throw in the mix that when we left the U.S. at this time last year we were just beginning to tell people that we were expecting and I realize just how very different our lives are now than they were a year ago.

We absolutely love living abroad and many of the experiences we have had along the way, but it has not been without it's challenges too. Here's a quick look at some of the things I have learned about living abroad, specifically in Switzerland, over the past 12 months.

  • Switzerland is ridiculously efficient, clean & safe. I doubt there is anywhere else in the world that is so meticulous in its work, dedicated to keeping everything operating and orderly, and with such an extremely low crime rate. These traits are easy to quickly take for granted, and I am sure it will be something I will miss when we leave.
  • The Swiss would prefer to not be your friends. They like to keep to themselves and they're taught to be independent and strong. It creates for an interesting culture where you either know and are good friends with someone or you are just passing acquaintances, there is less middle ground. And it is especially difficult for foreigners to break into these bounds. It was after all, just a couple of weeks ago (after 11 months of living in this apartment), that I finally exchanged formal introductions and conversations with some of my neighbors.
  • Quality over quantity when it comes to eating. People often comment that the Swiss eat healthy quantities of cheese and chocolate, yet they are one of the thinnest populations in Europe, if not in the world. Although there are plenty of things to be attributed to this, like a healthy active lifestyle that involves a lot of walking (see next point), but they also know how to eat in moderation and rather than ordering super size meals they get a reasonable size meal with high quality food. There is also very, very little diet and reduced fat foods to be found in the store. Instead you will find products with higher quality ingredients and much fresher. While it may be frustrating when food does not last as long, I know why, and know it's for good reason.
  • It is good to walk further than from your car to your front door each day. Public transport and walking places is a way of life over here. There is no hesitation that when a place is a few blocks away you will walk there, not so much as a thought of going there most any other way. Although there are days where it is cold, rainy/snowy, windy, etc. and I would rather not have to set foot outside it definitely has taught me to enjoy being outdoors even more and the health benefits of walking more are quite obvious. This is without a doubt in my mind one of the reasons I did not gain as much weight when I was pregnant and also lost it much more quickly. Just talk to most any expat here and they will tell you that without trying they lost weight the first few months of living here.
  • The Swiss love to smoke. If there is one thing I could change here it is the extremely high rate of smoking, I hate it. And not only that, but it affects everyone else around them since (directly related to my point above) you are constantly out walking everywhere and not couped up in your car. Although it is banned in restaurants and other public places, it seems I can never escape it. And I still haven't gotten over the lady that threw her match carelessly after lighting up and it almost landed on Emma's stroller...
  • Europeans actually use their vacation time. There is no hesitation, it is not frowned upon. There is a reason your employer gives you vacation days, and that is for you to use it. Although, they are not big proponents of three day weekends. When they go on "holiday" they go on "holiday" for several weeks at a time. I love it. It helps to emphasize that it is in fact a job and you have a life and family outside of work.
  • Switzerland is expensive! No doubt about it, Zurich was the most expensive city to live in the world last year and I think three other Swiss cities made the Top Ten list! Luckily we have a cost of living adjustment otherwise we would have been broke after our first month here. Although there are days where my mouth still falls open when I see the price on something, I have also learned just to ignore it and buy it, especially at the grocery store. We have to eat and that's that. There are a lot fewer options of brands, products etc., so if you know there is something you need, just buy it and don't even bother looking at the price. I certainly save some time as there are virtually no coupons to be cut, and very little time required in the store to compare prices between brands! 
Switzerland is expensive, which means it's residents are rich. Our neighbor's car for example...
  • I am going to miss the Swiss healthcare system. There were many different reasons why we considered having a baby while we lived here, the Swiss healthcare system never made it onto the list, but it definitely should have. Every experience going to the doctor has been as laid back and relaxed as is possible for a doctor's appointment. For both my appointments during my pregnancy and Emma's well baby appointments the doctors' offices have been quiet and calm. No hustle and bustle of patients in and out and we see the doctor for virtually the entire appointment! I love how much time they take with us and I am not nervous to ask a question or two as they seem in no hurry to get to the next patient. And just refer back to my blog about my hospital experience when Emma was born, I don't think it gets much better. Although I don't have anything to compare it to, I'm already expecting to be greatly disappointed by the experience in the U.S. when we have another child.
  • You are supposed to spend time with your family. Just like taking vacation the Swiss and most Europeans seem to make a more dedicated effort to spend time with family. This is specifically demonstrated by almost everything being closed on Sundays. You are not supposed to do your shopping, and in some cases (depending on your apartment building) even your laundry on Sundays. Sundays here are still a day to rest and spend with family and friends.
  • Buy only what you need (that day). I'm serious. Somehow when I go to the grocery store I am always buying more than everyone else. Why you ask? Because I only go to the store every two or three days, not every day as many people do. It's a great concept when it comes to eating fresh food, but I also find it tiresome and cumbersome at times. Perhaps my opinion is skewed as the entire time we have lived here I have either been pregnant or had a small child, hence making it more work to carry groceries home. Those are the days that I would like a car. The days that my back is sore from carrying heavy bags. I still don't know why my biceps aren't any bigger yet...
  • This country is gorgeous. I had suspected it before, having been here twice briefly and done plenty of research and seen photos. Yet, nothing can prepare you for the jaw dropping moments when you witness the sheer beauty of nature and God's work. I know that what I have seen here will be difficult to be surpassed by many other places in the world.

That's just a small taste of some of the things we have learned living here, as the list is never ending. Although there are things I miss about living back in the U.S., mostly being close to our family and friends, there is no doubt in my mind that my life is richer and more complete for deciding to take a leap of faith and go on this adventure. I think Steve and I have both learned and grown as individuals and as a family (and not just because we added Emma). We have learned the value of our time together and the importance of communication as we have faced so many new challenges. I am sad that a year has already passed us by, but I am excited for the adventures we will have in our remaining time here!

Here's to many more adventures in 2013 as a family of three!

No comments:

Post a Comment