Wednesday, May 14, 2014

You can check Kentucky off the list!

The start of a fun road trip
Another weekend, another marathon. As per usual, about a week or two after I finished the Tobacco Road Marathon in North Carolina in March, I decided I didn't want to let my training "go to waste" so I signed up for another spring marathon. As I searched through my few remaining nearby states to conquer I settled on the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in Louisville on Easter Weekend.

Seeing how Louisville is only a four hour drive from St. Louis and neither of us had spent much time there before we decided like it sounded like a good destination for the weekend. While I had hoped a friend would be able to join us for a trip, that idea didn't pan out so it was just Steve, Emma and myself making the trip.

The marathon was on Saturday. Although it was less than ideal, we weren't able to drive out until late on Friday afternoon. Our late evening arrival meant a very quick stop at the expo to pick up my race number followed by ordering delivery pasta to our hotel for a last minute carb loading session. Luckily our hotel was literally less than two blocks from the starting corrals, so it made for relatively easy race preparation and meant a relatively "late" wake up call prior to the start of the race. However, there was one hitch in our plans as we discussed where Steve and Emma would try to see me on the course, as during our drive into town we both started to worry that Emma might have pink eye and would need to see a doctor in the morning.

Starting to feel less than stellar, reinforcements were called in to keep Emma company
Not wanting to wake Emma as I crept out of our hotel room Saturday morning I tried to take a quick peek and sure enough she didn't look too good. So while I went out to run, I felt like I was making out like a bandit as I was sure Steve would spend his morning searching downtown Louisville for an urgent care and taking Emma to her least favorite place in the world, a doctor's office. I was also feeling a little disappointed that I probably wouldn't see my favorite cheerleaders until after I crossed the finish line.

However, Steve played the role of super dad. Not only did he locate a nearby urgent care, get Emma in to see the doctor, and get her prescription filled at a nearby Walgreens, he managed to see me three different times in the last six miles of the course! Let's just say it was pretty great to see a happy (and feeling relatively good) Emma at mile 21. She was ready to jump in the race herself!

So happy to see this girl!

              
As fore the race itself, I couldn't have asked for much better conditions. While it did start to get a little warm the last hour or so of the race, overall it was a beautiful day. The course itself was relatively flat except for about a 3 mile section near the middle of the race that had quite a few hills. We got to see a few fun neighborhoods in Louisville, run through the infield of Churchill downs, and I managed to receive plenty of high fives from hungover (and still drinking) fraternity boys as we ran near the University of Louisville's campus.

Someone didn't waste any time
claiming that medal for herself
While I had hoped to break the 3:40 mark (one which I haven't hit since having Emma), I officially clocked in at 3:44. I blame those extra four minutes on a few solid hills and temperatures hovering around 70 degrees when I finished. However, I can't complain as it is still my best since Emma was born and I know I feel capable of still getting faster. Yet, as I said before all of that is icing on the cake - just to get out and run, finish, and see a new place with my family is pretty darn good.

After a little refueling and a recovery nap for Steve and Emma we all headed out to see the Louisville Slugger Museum in the afternoon. Although I cannot say I really care that much about how a baseball bat is made, there is definitely a lot of history in that place, and it was interesting to see and hear the stories. From there the only thing left to accomplish on our agenda was finding a good outdoor spot for dinner to enjoy what was left of such a gorgeous day. Lucky for us, while I was running I still had my wits about me come mile 23 as I spotted two Irish pubs in a neighborhood that looked like fun. I knew Steve wouldn't turn down the opportunity so we enjoyed a nice dinner and celebratory drink at O'Shea's and tried to keep Emma from soaking other patrons as she attempted to get herself wet in the patio water fountain.

Louisville Slugger Museum
Enjoying dinner outside at the pub
While we had hoped to take in a little more of Louisville on Sunday morning with Emma still feeling a little run down and that little run I did the day earlier taking its toll on me we decided to head back to St. Louis come late morning to celebrate the rest of Easter back home (a swim in the hotel pool was necessary first, there was one the night prior as well but it was short lived when about ten 13 year old girls invaded the pool and hot tub - I saw fear in Steve's eyes of what lies ahead of us).

She's a water baby that's for sure
It was another successful weekend away. Another successful marathon. Number 15 in the books, but we've still got a ways to go folks. Here's to hoping for many more with her by my side!



Like mother, like daughter?


No comments:

Post a Comment